As a lawyer, you've likely created specific company or client lists prior to using Nexl. Fear not—you can still use these lists on Nexl! By importing an Excel or CSV file into Nexl, the system will automatically add any new contact or company records, and update existing records with any additional information contained in your spreadsheet.
Follow the steps below to import a contact or company list!
1. Click the Admin dropdown link, and select 'Import.'
2. In the top right corner, click the 'IMPORT CONTACTS' button for Contact lists, or the 'IMPORT COMPANIES' button for Company lists.
3. Drag and drop the file you wish to import, or use the 'Select file' button. Once you've added your file, click the 'Continue' button.
5. Change or confirm your header selection.
This step is important to inform Nexl what categories of data you have. Select the row that contains the "header" of the data set (i.e. the titles of the columns), then click the 'Continue' button.
6. Select the columns you want to import, and match them to the correct Nexl fields.
This step ensures the columns in your file match our fields in Nexl. Make sure the correct field is selected in the drop-down menu to match the columns in your file.
Scroll down to the bottom of the screen to make sure you haven't unintentionally excluded any columns you want to import.
When you've selected all the columns you wish to import and matched them to the correct field in Nexl, click the 'Continue' button.
7. Review your data.
This is the final step to ensure your data is complete prior to upload. Any records with missing or unrecognizable data will display a red highlight. You can correct any errors directly from the upload screen by selecting and editing a cell. Note that you can leave a cell blank if you'd like.
Once you are satisfied with the dataset, click the 'Save and finalize' button.
Once you finalize the dataset, there will be an entry on the imports screen with the file name, who the import was created by, when it was created, and progress of the upload. When the upload reaches 100%, those uploaded contact or company information will appear on Nexl.